I was at an extended family dinner on Sunday, and was talking to my cousin and her son about what my "new obsession" (preparedness) is. My cousin proceeded to tell me that she is confused about what she's preparing for. Is she preparing for a "get out of the house fast" emergency, or is she preparing for a "stay at home" emergency. My response was, of course, "yes". In other words, we need to be preparing for any kind of emergency that may be coming our way. In D&C 88:119 it says to "Organize yourselves and prepare every needful thing". I take that as a call to not do either or, but to do all you can do. We don't need to work out of fear, but out of obedience and foresight.
In this day and age, there are many things out there we might consider preparing for, from weather related to biological. However, to clarify a bit, and make things not sound quite so overwhelming, keep in mind that if you're prepared for a pandemic, you're probably prepared for a biological emergency. You'll probably have masks, gloves, plastic to cover windows and doorways, etc. If you're prepared for a fire, you're probably prepared for an earthquake. You'll probably have what you would need for each of your family members to be away from home for at least 3 days. If you're prepared for a financial collapse, you're prepared for a long term job loss.
I hope this maybe clarifies things for someone. I also hope I didn't make things harder on others. For me, and I think for many others, if I know what to do, somehow I can make it happen, of course with the Lords help. Sometimes it can get hard or overwhelming to think of what we need to do, but if we pray to be inspired and directed, we will be. I've seen it happen over and over. Maybe you'll become like me and have it be an obsession. Of course I have to admit I have a bit of an obsessive personally, so maybe you won't get as bad as me. Good luck, and have FUN for heavens sake!!!
Michelle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment