Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Water Barrel Storage

Those of you who were at the Provident Living Fair in March may have picked up information on building a water storage unit to store water barrels on their side. I recently got an email from Phil
Bruick about the use of those units. Here it is.

Michelle,
Your email about the barrels reminded me that I was going to contact you
after your ward preparedness saturday presentation a few months ago.
Bro. Johnson had on his table plans for stacking two of the barrels on
their sides one above another. My brother and I had thought of that but
when we talked to a bunch of people about such a project, we were
informed that the barrels were never made to lay on their sides and that
the seams would not hold eventually. Based on that information we
abandoned the idea but I'm concerned that some may try that and find
themselves with a great deal of water in their garage or basement.

We have since found a source for 250 gallon barrels that are only 21" in
diameter. A little pricy but can store much more water in the same
footprint.
Phil

I emailed Phil back and asked for the source of the larger barrels which
I will post for your information. I take full responsibility for that information being available, as it
was my suggestion. It was a good idea, but unfortunately not practical.
Thanks for your understanding.

Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is good to know as I have seen other individuals stack the barrels on their sides. Thanks for the tip.

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com