I would like to recommend you think about heirloom (non-hybrid) vegi's when you purchase your plants this year. If you don't know why that is important, I'll tell you. The plants and seeds you get from the store are what is called Hybrids. The problem is that hybrid vegetables can not be used to get seeds for the next years plantings. They are made this way on purpose, so you have to buy new every year. Right now that isn't so much of a problem, but in trying to live even more providently, or in the event that for some reason we don't have seeds or plants or money for that matter to purchase, we would already have seed available to us for free if we had heirloom seeds. Heirloom vegetables, unlike hybrids, do have the ability to produce useable seed for the next years planting. They are a little bit more expensive, like by a dollar or two per plant, but in the long run so much more frugal than buying new seeds or plants every year. I have information from a couple who grow and sell organic heirloom plants. I have the info. in an email, and since I'm pretty computer iliterate, you will need to email me if you want the info. Email me at getyourstorage@hotmail.com and I will forward you the email I got from them. It has a list of all their plants. Just to give you an idea, they have 65 different kinds of tomato plants and I believe about 100 types of plants to choose from. Imagine the variety you could have in your garden and then on your table for your family to eat. I will give info. on saving seeds in the fall. It's not hard at all. Happy gardening.
Michelle
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment