Each week you will be given suggestions to help you (us) get better prepared. I will try to put suggestions for beginners, but also for those who aren't such beginners, to help keep everyone going. If I don't have suggestions for the non-beginners sometimes, sorry, but go ahead and do something that will help you that week. You're also welcome to give suggestions, I cant' think of everything. Try to think of your storage space as a grocery store in your home. Be sure, as you're making up your menu list, to include easy meals for those crazy days, when there just isn't as much time, or energy, as you need to make a meal. You will save so much money and feed your family more healthfully over going by a fast food place with just a little bit of planning.
Okay, so here goes
January:
Week 1-beginner: clear a space for your storage items, get it clean of dirt and make sure it's dry, bug and rodent free. Start a list of meals your family eats on a daily basis. Purchase some bottled water.
-non-beginner: Add to your water storage. Make sure what you have is still good. Rotate any foods needing rotating, or get rid of items not used frequently enough or out of date.
Week 2-beginner: get some shelving, either by buying or building some. Figure out how to have extra mandatory medications in your home for long term emergencies. Continue your meals list. Get more water.
-non-beginner: Figure out how to have extra mandatory medications in your home for long term emergencies. Try a new menu meal you think your family will love.
Week 3-beginner: make a "grocery list" of foods to go in your storage based on your meals list. If you don't have at least 14 days of meals listed, look for some recipes and try them on your family. This list is to help you get a 3 month supply of food. Use items rarely used out of your pantry to clear space for items more frequently used.
-non-beginner: replace items recently purged with up dated items. Add to your grocery list, any new items needed for your new meal.
Week 4-beginner: begin purchasing items from your "grocery list". Purchase in bulk where possible. Purchase a wide of a variety each week as possible with your budget for food. Make dinner at least 6 nights this week.
-non-beginner: start filling in where your may be a bit lacking. Make dinner at least 6 nights this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I LOVE This post. Thanks for all the week by week pointers!
Hey Michelle. I have some turkey chunks from the cannery that I've had for years (late 90's I think). I'm wondering how old is too old and if it's time to "purge" them from my food storage.
Oh, um, I wish I could tell you to open one up and look at it, but I'm kind of scared. I don't want to be responsible for any one in your family, or anyone who may be reading this to get sick, or die from food poisoning. Here's my suggestion, purge. Macey's is have a great sale on canned meat this week, less than a dollar a can. Go shopping. Please don't tell your husband I said to go shopping though. I should say though, that if it weren't in a can, but in a jar, I would be more likely to say maybe, but better safe than sorry. You just never know. Hope that helps.
Michelle
So do you have some good sites where there are some good food storage recipes? Also I wonder if there is a way to get some tried and true recipes together that members in the ward use.
Yes, I'm working on a list. Check back in the next couple of days for it.
Michelle
Post a Comment